Charity cannot wait. ~ Alice Eduardo
Alice Eduardo, the President and CEO of Santa Elena Construction & Development Corp., is one of the several altruists in the country who put their wealth to a good cause.
Forbes Asia took notice and awarded her as one of the Heroes of Philanthropy for 2018. Cited are some of her passion projects, such as the isolation ward in the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) and the provision for caring for and educating abandoned children housed by the Tuloy Foundation, among others.
Eduardo donated Php14.5 million for the construction of the ward in 2014. The 320-square-meter ward significantly reduced childhood cancer mortality rates by 70%. Her next goal, which was to build a dormitory near the biggest government hospital so the families and relatives of the cancer-stricken children would have a place to stay materialized in 2018. It was aptly named ‘Bahay Silungan.’ She donated Php19.3 million for the construction of the said dormitory.
According to Eduardo, the award filled her heart and celebrated by revisiting the PGH. Her next goal was to donate the air-conditioning system at the children’s ward after the completion of the building’s electric system. She awarded the check to PGH Director, Dr. Gerardo ‘Gap’ Legaspi.
Further along, she provided initial funding amounting to Php19.3 million to the non-profit. Eduardo also gave Php9.7 million to the victims of super typhoon Yolanda (Typhoon Haiyan) that wiped out specific areas in Bohol, Leyte, and the rest of Central Visayas. The amount was able to build 100 homes. Finally, she granted Habitat for Humanity Php9.6 million for building homes for the needy as well.
True enough, Alice Eduardo has the social capital to put her stamp on issues that matter. Only a handful of the wealthiest has a generous heart indeed.
Alice Eduardo’s charity works throughout the years
- PGH’s Department of Pediatrics | Donated the Hematology-Oncology Isolation Ward, a 320-square meter pediatric ward for terminally ill cancer patients, which is listed as an urgent need of PGH, and the dormitory
- Typhoon Yolanda Victims | Donated 100 houses to the victims
- Child Protection Network | Extended financial help to the CPN
- Ten Outstanding Students of the Philippines (TOSP) | Awarded the ten brightest students from all over the Philippines
2018 – 2019
- Zonta Club of Makati & Environs | Provided scholarship to 10 women scholars through the “Empowering Women Scholarship Program” with a maximum Php40,000 allocation per scholar
- Rotary Club of Manila | Provided scholarship to 10 men scholars with a maximum Php40,000 allocation per scholar
Ongoing charity works of Alice Eduardo
2011 – present
- Habitat for Humanity | A prime mover of Habitat for Humanity International which builds houses for the poor
2013 – present
- Philippine Red Cross | Donated to Philippine Red Cross through Red Charity Gala
- Caritas Manila | A diamond supporter for the Caritas’ social action services and integrated programs for the poor and the underprivileged
- San Fernando de Dilao Parish | Provides for the tuition fee and transportation allowances of 115 college students, 50 high school students, and 50 elementary students
- Young Musician Development Organization | Provides financial aid to young musicians enrolled at The Philippine High School for the Arts at Makiling
- Sports | Supports the women’s volleyball (Php10M), men’s volleyball (Php15M), and swimming team (Ph15M)
Her other philanthropic activities are:
- Financed the construction of San Agustin Parish with parish hall in Jaen, Nueva Ecija, her hometown (PhP80M)
- Financed the building two structures at Tuloy Foundation for its classrooms and theater (PhP20M)
- Donated to St. Michael the Archangel Parish Church in BGC, Taguig for its structural construction, painting, air-conditioning system, columbarium, and other construction materials (Php10M)
- Donated to Marawi Survivors to benefit the families of slain soldiers (Php5M)
- Donated to Putlod Chapel (Php5M) and Sta. Cruz Church (Php5M), both located in Nueva Ecija
- Sponsored BGC Arts Foundation’s Millenial Circle, an art campaign program that targeted the students and young professionals (Php4M)
- Provided financial assistance to the construction of the Parish of Our Lady of the Abandoned’s Sanctuary Retablo (Php3.5M)
- Donated to the Asian Cultural Council (Php1.5M)